– What have you been eating for breakfast?
– Strawberries, blueberries, bananas, almonds and raisins are healthy, tasty toppings for morning oatmeal.
– The top 10 reasons to eat oatmeal!
Strawberries, blueberries, bananas, almonds and raisins are healthy, tasty toppings for morning oatmeal.
I like to use these ingredients from Trader Joes:
The ingredients shown are: old-fashioned oats (microwave 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats with 1 cup water for 2 1/2 minutes), raw slivered almonds (1/4 cup), organic strawberries (about 4 strawberries sliced), bananas (about 1/4 banana sliced), organic blueberries (a handful), organic raisins (a handful)
Oatmeal is an extremely healthy breakfast choice. According to mrbreakfast.com, the top 10 reasons to eat oatmeal are:
1. Oatmeal may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
2. Oatmeal can help you control your weight.
3. You probably already have oats in your kitchen.
4. Oatmeal may reduce the risk for type 2 diabetes.
5. Oats found in your grocery store are 100% natural.
6. Oatmeal may help reduce high blood pressure.
7. Oatmeal contains a wide array of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and is a good source of protein, complex carbohydrates and iron.
8. The fiber and other nutrients found in oatmeal may actually reduce the risk for certain cancers.
9. Oatmeal is quick and convenient!
10. Oatmeal can be absolutely delicious!
What do Cal Poly students think?
While there are many other delicious options to choose from in the morning, oatmeal makes for one of the most nutritious options. But just because it’s oatmeal does not mean it’s pure health, graphic communications sophomore Shannon Ling said.
“I think oatmeal is healthy, but could also be unhealthy,” Ling said. “It just depends on what you put in it. If you are eating on campus, you should definitely get oatmeal at the Avenue instead of Sandwich factory. The oatmeal at sandwich factory has whipping cream in it, which is so unnecessary. It doesn’t even make it taste better. The oatmeal in the avenue doesn’t have that.”
“I’ve never tried Trader Joe’s oatmeal,” Minami said. “But I know it’s nutritious.”
Some people are way more into oatmeal than others, park and recreation sophomore Carlye Parker included.
“Steel cut is so good,” Parker said. “I’m all about Trader Joe’s steel-cut (oats). It’s yummy. I like putting raspberries ad brown sugar in it. It makes me feel happy and it’s a good start to my morning.”
And some people agree to eat it even though it is not the most appealing taste, like horticulture sophomore Nico Comati.
“It gets me goin’,” Comati said. “It makes me feel full, but it’s kind of bland. It tastes boring. But I feel like I’ve had a breakfast that counts. A breakfast for the growing mind. A breakfast to get me through the day. And THAT’S a breakfast that counts.”